-Mark Twain
January 2009
When I read this quote, I instantly think of Gable. Of all my children, he gives me the biggest run for my money. He shook things up the day he was born a BOY although modern medicine and all it's wisdom told us he was a girl and since then, he has continued to shock and surprise me. By the time he was 6 months old he had a mouthful of 6 teeth and was expertly crawling everywhere! He runs, he jumps, he knocks things over just because he can, he helps himself with out asking, he teases and KNOWS just how to push everyone's buttons. He has been a nose picker, gone through a lying phase, used the corner of his room as a urinal (even though the toilet was only 5 steps away) and has picked up on some very colorful phrases and is not afraid to use them. He even had an imaginary friend named Johnny who doesn't visit anymore because he is in prison! He gets in your personal space and does not care if you get in his way, he will just step on you or climb over you. He has taken every bit of motherly wisdom I have gained in the process of raising Gehrig and Emma and thrown it right out the window leaving me to figure everything out again in the"world according to Gable". He will not put up with not getting your attention in some way. He is always on the go and getting into something.....most the time it is trouble. There is very little down time with this boy and no shortage of exasperated and annoyed cries of "GABLE!!" throughout the house. This is sometimes such a frustration to me as a mother. I will get to the end of a long and trying day with him and watch him as he sleeps and wonder why I could not have been more patient. And wish that the day could have gone more smoothly. BUT.... every once in a while, we have a wonderful day together, where we understand one another and listen to each other and we both end up happy and satisfied and completely content. We have had a couple of those days recently, and I have the pictures to prove it.
Wonderful day #1- Gable was trying very hard that day to do what I asked and he wanted to be a "good helper". He helped me clean the house and even cleaned the toilet with the toilet brush. Sophie took a really long nap that day and we were able to spend the afternoon just the two of us. We decided to make a snack. As we rolled the dough for Pepperoni Spinners, Gable asked, "Did you do this kind of stuff with your mom?" When I said yes, he said, "I like it, it makes you feel good and happy doesn't it?" And I had to agree that it did. We didn't really actually like the the Pepperoni Spinners very much, but we sure liked how we felt. When the day was over, Gable asked if we could do it exactly the same tommorrow. We tried but we couldn't duplicate it exactly. You just have to take the golden moments as they come!
Wonderful day #2- One afternoon, we went to Thanksgiving Point to the dinosaur museum. It was just Sophie, Gable and I. At the last minute I thought about asking some friends along but purposely didn't just so I could give all my attention to Gable and let him enjoy the museum at his own pace. We had a great time! We got to the museum just as it was opening and had almost the whole place to ourselves. Gable built different velcro dinosaurs over and over again. And made Sophie laugh so hard in the process. Next he got to play at the sand and water table uninterupted by other kids or a mom that was hurrying him along and he had a blast. I think we spent close to and hour there. After that we moved on to the sand pit and he dug up dinosaur bones to his heart's content. It was definately time well spent together!
Gable being eaten by a velcro dinosaur.
I love my little Gable! He is my buddy during the day when everyone else is at work or school, he has the MOST AMAZING eyelashes, he makes me laugh out loud, and almost always has a smile for me. He used to let me sing Baa, Baa Black Sheep to him every night before he went to bed and there was a good year or so when we would take naps together everyday with him cuddled up to my back with our feet touching and his face nuzzled into my hair. He can remember anything, even if it does not appear that he is remotely listening or paying attention. He is a go getter. He is not afraid to try new things. He is a big believer in magic and Santa Claus, he truly feels sorrow for some of his wrongs and wants to be better, he forgives me when I make mistakes. He happily climbs into bed at night and falls asleep quick so he can recharge and do it all over the next day. I guess Mark Twain may have been on to something. Along with the trouble comes so much good and I do enjoy it! I wouldn't change a thing!
2 comments:
We live for the golden moments! Glad you got proof for when Gable is older. SO he will know he did have a happy childhood :)
I have done a couple of things with just Bryan and Katie this school year (purposefully not inviting friends) and it has been so FUN and RELAXING. I love it and so have my children. It is bliss to have those few moments to move at our own pace.
Yes, Gable is a go getter with very little "down" time, he makes me tired just watching him. But I will never forget the "wonderful" sleep-over we had....at first I thought how will I ever keep up with him, but we had a great time he was so fun and helpful, a completely different little boy when he is by himself. We went to Target for a treat, had dinner and popcorn on TV trays while watching a movie, he jumped right in the tub and played with the toys then got out and all ready for bed by himself. Went to bed like a dream and all the while kept telling me "I love you Grandma, can we have another sleep-over?" Life doesn't get better than that!!!
Post a Comment