Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sheer BOY!

February 6-7, 2009

Gehrig went on his first Klondike winter camp out. We spent from August until right before he left figuring out what equipment he would need to keep him warm out in the mountains on a cold February night. For his birthday we got him a really warm sleeping bag,when we got his coat this year we got one that was good for temps below 0, we bought him some new higher quality boots, a couple pairs of good socks and some poly-pro. I felt pretty good about sending him off on this crazy adventure knowing that we had prepared and that Robert would be along to look out for him. At the last minute Robert and Gehrig ended up borrowing a tent heater from our neighbor Blu and once I was assured that they would not be asphyxiated during the night I felt even better that I would get my boy home fresh, not frozen. Gehrig had a great time and said he would do it again next year. I sent the camera with Robert to take some pictures for me and this is what I got:


Gehrig and his Scout Troop.
Quinten, Devon, Brandon, Jeremy, Grant and Brother Innes.

Classic boy! I love this picture and I am so glad he gets to have adventures like this.


Here's the troop again, all bundled up!
There was only one near freezing occurrence on the camp out. Gehrig got up around 2am to go to the bathroom and as he was coming back into the tent Robert heard him talking to someone. Half asleep, Robert asked who he was talking to and Gehrig casually said, "Oh it's just _____, he left his sleeping bag down in the car so he is up trying to stay warm by the fire." At this Robert sat straight up and went to investigate. Come to find out, he had forgotten his sleeping bag in the car about a mile or so away from the camp site and had asked a leader about getting it but they both forgot about it over the course of the night so when everyone went to bed he was without it. Robert found him by the fire trying to stay warm for the night and told him to get in the tent with him and Gehrig. They had a sleeping bag shell they let him climb into and the tent heater to try and help warm him up, but Robert said he was still shivering, I am sure it was a pretty long night for him. I am glad they were up to find him and that everything was okay! What a crazy camp out the Klondike is! Anyone crazy enough to do it and like it must be sheer BOY!



No comments: