Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sisters

Yesterday I walked into the living room and found this....


Sophie had recently woken up from a nap and was inconsolable. She was crying over every little thing. Emma took matters into her own hands and spread a blanket out for her to lay on. She tucked her in with another blanket. Put some soothing music on (Canon in D, mine and Emma's favorite) and got some books to read to her. When I came into the room, all was well, and Sophie was loved and happy. I definitely do not have the photo skills to snap a picture that would express what this scene did to my heart. First, it makes me so happy to see how lovingly Emma can care for Sophie. She does this on a daily basis in one way or the other. And I love that about her. I am so excited for the wonderful woman she is becoming everyday. It makes me happy for my grandchildren, that they will have a mother like her. She sees the details. She is determined. In many instances, she sees the person, not the problem. She is a wonder to me and I feel greatly blessed to have her in my life.

Secondly, I am so thankful that Emma has Sophie and Sophie has Emma. I am thankful that each has a SISTER. I grew up with two wonderful brothers. I love them so much and I am so impressed and proud of the caliber of men they have grown up to be. But there is one thing that I have never had, and that is a sister. From time to time, my heart aches for that sister. Another woman in this whole wide world who grew up with me and shares my history. Someone who has seen me at my best and worst and loves me all the same. Earlier in the day, I had been reading this and my heart had ached again for that kind of sister. I am just so thankful that Emma and Sophie are building that kind of history and relationship together and I hope it will always be so.

I took a moment to soak it all in. I laid down on the floor, with that wonderful music swirling all around us, and I read some books with my girls. And my heart was full.


I never noticed how much these two really look alike, but they do!



3 comments:

Laura said...

That is so sweet. I know that they will be wonderful - because they have such a good example to follow.

Karen said...

What precious moments and how wonderful it is that you take time to enjoy them. I am so thankful as their grandmother to know they have such a wonderful mother who always takes the time to make their lives so special. I feel very blessed to have such a wonderful and beautiful daughter who is the "best" Mom ever!!!

Marissa said...

I ♥ this post!